Gift for Skaters:

Trish Alexander's Top Ten Gifts for Skaters

Stuff a Back Pack with Skates and Stick It Under the Xmas Tree

(Part 3 of 3)

3.) Camelbak

Can't do a long skate without one. Your muscles MUST HAVE water to work. In fact, often when people think they are out of fuel, it is actually water they need. Camelbaks don't leak. The mouthpiece has been redesigned over the years and works extremely well.

When I do my all-day camps, I wear one and refill it midway through the day. The result: no more headaches.

They come in a variety of sizes. I bought one that holds one liter of water. It also carries my lunch, extra jacket, ID, skate tools, blister packs, first aid kit, etc.

You may not need one right now. But as soon as the weather warms, you'll be glad it was under the tree.

Go to Camelbak web site.

2.) MP3 player

Get one! It's fun to listen to your own music when you skate. I have the iRiver MP3 player, and I just love it. It was fairly cheap ($130) and it holds a ton of music.

I've been using it since last summer and have not changed the one AA-battery yet. Some of you may be surprised that I recommend these things, but I think they are great, especially if you are skating long distances. If I am skating downtown, I turn it off or remove one ear bud. But for trail skating, I keep to the right and skate and dance to the music. On a good tune I can push my aerobic level to a new high. (You should be a fairly proficient skater to do this, so take more lessons in the winter so you are ready!)

Go to iRiver web site.

... And the No. 1 item on my list?

1.) Skates, of course

Dream big, wish hard and if you've been good, maybe you'll find the skates you want wrapped in a Transpack under the tree (along with a tri-tool, a can of skate lube, a heart-rate monitor and all of the rest!)

If you are a new skater, be sure to ask for some skate lessons, too. A little technique goes a long way.

If you are accomplished already, take a lesson in another side discipline, like hockey, artistic, aggro or speed. It will make you a better skater.

And Happy Holidays to each of you! I wish you visions of spins, slaloms and jumps.

Trish Alexander is a certified inline instructor and the owner of the Skate Journeys Skate School in Seattle, Wash.

<<< Part 1|2|3

Related reading

Other gift ideas for skaters

Copyright © 2005 by Robert Burnson

Planet Extras!
Subscribe to the Planet RSS News Feed
Podcast with World Champ Joey Mantia
2006 Skate Previews
Full Coverage and Photos of the Northshore Inline Marathon
Interview with skate legend Eddy Matzger
Planet News Archive!
Planet Event Photos